On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
<tthies...@avaya.com> wrote:
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/prepare-mojo.html
>
> If you look at the preperationGoal option of the prepare goal, you will see
> the default is clean verify.  If you change with to simple be clean, the
> prepare phase won't actually try and build the snapshot.

Yep, I see it now...

> IMHO, your second concern isn't very severe if you have continuous
> integration in place. If you do, you will always know when your snapsnot is
> sane making the building of the snapshot during the prepare phase virtually
> useless.  You of course don't want to release if your CI shows the build to
> be broken.

Hmm, yeah we do have CI runs going from Jenkins, so I think you're
right.  As long as we don't launch a release build when the last
continuation build failed, then the chance of it failing is very small
(although there is a tiny race condition there where someone could
slip in a breaking change).

Thanks everyone for all your help, and I like all the solutions
presented, but what does everyone think of my idea?  Would it not be a
cool idea to change the release plugin, or at least provide an option,
for it to behave by doing an upfront change of the pom file, so that
when it reaches the tag stage it tags from that revision instead of
having to change the pom file at the end and tag there?

Phillip