Hey Markus,

I happened to be working in a project that currently uses hamcrest-core 1.1
transitively via junit 4.10, we also use nexus. If I add an explicit
dependency for org.hamcrest:hamcrest-core:[1.3] to the pom I get the
requested 1.3 version as expected. I tested this on 2 machines: my Mac
desktop with maven 3.0.3; and my old linux desktop with maven 3.0.4. Both
systems behave as expected (i.e. maven resolves the artifact to version
1.3). Both systems began without the artifact in their local repository.

Since you said in your original post that you tried specifying versions
[1.2] and 1.2 and maven resolved these to 1.2 and 1.1 respectively, there
must be some other dependency of your project that either explicitly or
transitively is depending on version 1.1 (my bet is on junit ;).

To help you diagnose the problem further, try running mvn -X
dependency:tree | grep hamcrest. This will show you how maven is resolving
the version of the hamcrest artifacts.

You may also want to double-check the checksums of the 1.3 artifact against
central. I recall a recent thread where a corrupted artifact made it appear
to maven that the artifact didn't exist and the error message was hiding
the underlying corruption problem.

Let us know if the output of that command provides any clues.

Cheers,
Doug