I am hoping someone can help me get around this problem?

Trying to implement maven release plugin into our processes, I came across this
issue (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SCM-406 which is a svn/maven bug with
creating tags: 'tag already exists") in our release:prepare steps while
executing it through our CI servers. We have a newer version of SVN which this
bug is supposed to NOT be affected by, but I still see the problem.

Anyway, following some workaround instructions
http://www.flexthinker.com/2011/01/solving-%E2%80%9Cfile-already-exists%E2%80%9D-mavensvn-problem/
(included; -DpreparationGoals using "exec:exec" with -Darguments=<path to SVN
executable>, BUT  I run into another issue, blocking me.
The portion of the command line argument in questions is:
-DpreparationGoals="clean install exec:exec"
-Darguments="-Dexec.executable='C:\Program Files\svn-win32-1.6.1\bin\svn.exe
up'"

The build fails on a compilation issue when it finds an instance of the
maven-exec-plugin (like the excerpt from a pom.xml config below). -because the
"exec" goal for the exec-maven-plugin already exists (shown below) in an
existing pom.xml file it fails to properly resolve the command line args.
...so it now FAILS the build with:
INFO] [INFO] [exec:exec {execution: run-278Inbound}]
ERROR: Failed to load E:\<Path to build dir>\up

Snipit of pom.xml
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                <artifactId>exec-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>1.2</version>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <id>run-278Inbound</id>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>exec</goal>
                        </goals>
                        <phase>generate-sources</phase>
                        <configuration>
                            <executable>${mapforce.exe}</executable>
                            <arguments>

<argument>${basedir}\src\main\altova\auth278\X12ToAuth278.mfp</argument>
                                <argument>/JAVA</argument>

<argument>${basedir}/target/generated-sources/mapforce</argument>
                                <argument>/LOG</argument>

<argument>${basedir}\target\X12ToAuth278.log</argument>
                            </arguments>
                        </configuration>
                    </execution>
                </executions>
            </plugin>

The "up" (shown at the end of the path in the error message) is in reference
the command intended to update the code before the execution of the prepare
goal (svn up). ...not mixed together with an argument in the plugin section of
my pom.xml.

Thanks,
Ken

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and the information transmitted within
including any attachments is only for the recipient(s) to which it is intended
and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of; or taking of any action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please send the e-mail
back by replying to the sender and permanently delete the entire message and
its attachments from all computers and network systems involved in its receipt.