Hi Nambi

1. Why does the jar need to be part of maven installation? Why not a plugin?

The version given on the command line is passed into the model when it's
loaded (model.setVersion(version)). And this is done for all modules when
the model is read. When having a plugin I would change the version when the
module is built. And I guess, it's not possible at that time.

And as there is a different install-plugin for the install phase, I'll
change that in the lifecycle mapper (which is also part of the maven
installation).

2. Can it generate a version based on some strategy? Looks like the version
needs to be supplied through CLI parameter.

With Release 0.2.0 there are more possibilites to "generate" a unique
version number: when the feature is active but no version is provided then
the pom version is taken and a buildnumber is appended. The buildnumber is
either taken from jenkins/hudson (env.BUILD_NUMBER) or its an incremented
integer stored in a file named .buildnumber

Of course, it would be possible to think about different version generation
strategies.

3. Some releases need a TAG in SCM while some releases don't require a TAG.
   Is there a possibility of having this functionality?

I guess this would be possible. To me storing the revision number into the
manifest files is more important. With this information you can always tag
and/or branch from a specific revision.

4. What happens if the release is trying to overwrite an already existing
version on the repository?
This should be configured in your central maven repo (e.g. Nexus/Archiva)
where you configure a repository to not allow releases to be overwritten.

5. What kind of formats are supported? jar, war etc.
I don't get this question... Actually all generated artifacts are handled
the same way.

Cheers,
Rotsch