I wish I could break it up. Among the problems with this code is the extreme
bit of coupling. The scripts list 300 files to compile because that's all that
we would have wanted, but they pull in other files, which pull in yet others.
Trying to compile this fairly small subsystem winds up building about a third
of the entire project.

But I will definitely look at the options and see what I can learn from them;
thanks for the suggestions.

Russ