And this is actually not even always true, CP1252 is also often used on
Windows (in France for example).

Encoding is actually a quite "simple" problem, but transfer makes it
difficult to handle as each move has to take care of what it does.
As for the JIRA tickets, if you feel this is not OK, feel free to
comment/reopen/create the ones you want.
But also beware that without a patch, in that very specific situation, it's
not very likely someone else will spend time to fix it.

HTH
Cheers

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !