Hello Dan,

currently I have a team of two (with me three) devops guys.
We provide 30 Jenkins masters with 20 build nodes and about 1800 jobs which
we provision ourselves as well (Debian is already installed and we are able
to login via ssh).
We provide the department pom, some Maven plugins, Artifactory, Gitlab,
several SonarQube instances, several Testlink instances and some other
minor systems as well.

The department has about 200 developers, 150 of them use Java/Maven, the
others objective-c, c++, Scala, Python, PHP, JavaScript and Ruby.

Most teams do have one developer who is more interested in build tooling
and we support them with diagnosis of Jenkins or Maven related problems
(nowadays we try to answer questions for SBT and npm as well..).

We all have a sound knowledge of Java, Python and Shell.

Now: while you may write Maven plugins in Jython, Ant or any other JVM
language, most of the documentation is directed to writing these in Java.

Releasing with Maven is trivial once the project is setup properly, so no
Java knowhow is needed here, IMO.

The poms are maintained by the teams/developers, we help when they
encounter problems (which might to restructuring the project as well).

The challenges are mostly with the non-Maven projects, IMO having a soundly
setup department pom *and* settings will help, Maven is a very good build
tool for company setups.

Because of the many systems (we have to arrange for firewall settings from
build nodes to qa systems as well) we get about 4 support requests per day,
so one of us is ticketeer of the day.

Regards
Mirko
--