One thing I run into when jumping between different projects is different
expectations for what maven repos I need to be using.  In the past, I had to
have multiple copies of "~/.m2/settings.xml" lying around, and I would hack the
specified repos when I needed to.

Recently, I saw a situation where the required repositories were simply defined
in the top-level pom for the project.  If this is done consistently, there's no
longer any need to hack the settings.xml file.

I seem to remember seeing some advice that specifying repositories in the POM
is a bad practice.  If I'm remembering this correctly, this seems odd.  Forcing
the correct repos to be defined in the settings.xml works against "repeatable
builds".

What is the recommended advice here?