Yes, some years ago we did exactly this; most academic open source projects
then didn't bother with Maven Central and we relied on 8 different open
repositories around the world, often with dubious hostnames like
rpc268.cs.example.edu:8080 -- this meant that although the build was
reproducible for everyone at the time; often just one year down the line
those repositories might have gone offline and caused long timeouts - or
worse, serve a generic HTML page no matter what you request, giving
checksum errors.

So now the build of the old tag would fail, but worse, released modules
that ultimately had that project pom as parent also started failing as
dependency in newer code because those <repositories> are also consulted
for transitive dependencies. (Even if that particular repo was not needed,
Maven does not generally know which repo for which deps and consults all)

So I would say, only add stable long-term repos to the parent pom, e.g.
springsource or bintray repositories, while repo-of-the-day should be
handled through a proxy Artifactory or Nexus server configured in .settings
(enterprise) or top level pom (business open source), the proxy would then
keep caches for a rainy day. Anything released open source should be pushed
to Central (or at least a single place), even if it was made by someone who
didn't bother themselves.