Are you using the versions plugin? I can't live without it, I've got it in my corporate master base POM

http://www.mojohaus.org/versions-maven-plugin/

-Richard

------ Original Message ------
From: "Curtis Rueden" <ctrue...@wisc.edu>
To: "Maven Users List" <users@maven.apache.org>
Sent: 4/24/2017 1:46:59 PM
Subject: Re: Please officially support RELEASE and LATEST (was: Re: dependency question)

Hi Jesse,

 Prefer to harden the version # in a corporate pom. Then use
 versions-m-p to detect and update bulk dependencies across all our
 projects. We manage about 350 dependencies in the corporate pom

Definitely agreed. I am managing a similar number, and indeed versions-m-p
is super nice for displaying which dependencies have new versions
available. (Must remember to feed -U to mvn, though!)

I am still looking for an easy way to answer the other question: "Have
there been changes to this component since the last release" -- i.e. "Does
this component need a new release" -- since we use release-ready master
branches. I think the allowSnapshots property is not sufficient in my case, since the CI will always deploy a new SNAPSHOT in response to the "Bump to
next development cycle" commit which does nothing else besides bump the
version on master after each release.

And even if somehow the versions-m-p had a magicallySolveAllMyProblems flag here, I still believe there are other use cases where RELEASE and LATEST
are useful -- and that deprecating/removing them does not do anything
constructive to address the problem of irreproducible builds.

Regards,
Curtis

P.S. to Rick Huff: Thanks for taking the time to reply. :-)

--
Curtis Rueden
LOCI software architect - https://loci.wisc.edu/software