Hello all!

I'm trying to get a Java app deployed in an OpenShift container and I'm experiencing a strange behaviour.

At build time (firs build), maven is creating a ? directory inside the context from which it's called (so in my project's root folder) to create the repository directory and download the build time dependencies. I'd really want to know why it does that, and make it use the .m2 location from the home folder. I have a feeling it has to do with some sort of fishy user permission, but I'm not sure if it's actually the case or where am I doing wrong.

That's the short description of the problem. My working system is like this:
- on a OpenShift/docker virtual machine running centos 7
- I've installed maven version 3.3.9 from https://www.apache.org/dist/maven/maven-3/3.3.9/binaries/apache-maven-3.3.9-bin.tar.gz - I've setup a $HOME directory which contains a .m2 directory that contains my settings.xml to make maven use a local/cached repository - this was done under root, but I've recursively changed ownership and permission to the common user 1001 for what's related to maven - my sources come on this system with a bit if an awkward set of permissions so that the owner is user (1001), but the group is root

When I run maven with just the targets used for the project, it doesn't read from the settings.xml, but instead tries to connect to the global repository. When running maven with the "-s $HOME/.m2/settings.xml" option, it does take it into consideration and the build works fine, but it is downloadying all the repository artifacts into ?/repository folder under the local dir (app folder, the one which holds the pom.xml file).

Any idea what would be the reason for this behaviour?

Thank you in advance!