Sounds like you're using gitflow (master, develop, feature/* branches).  If
so, we use the jgitflow-maven-plugin instead of maven-release-plugin, which
handles these transitions and the inherent conflicts caused by the maven
versioning.

Unfortunately, the maintainer is no longer working on it (and says he's not
even working in java anymore), but it still works well.

https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/jgit-flow/wiki/Home

--
Ben Tatham
Software Architect

*Nano**metrics* *Inc.*

Ottawa * I*  Calgary  *I*  Houston  *I*  Beijing

T: +1 613 505 5065  *I*  bentat...@nanometrics.ca
 www.nanometrics.ca  *I  *www.microseismicmonitoring.com

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is
proprietary, privileged, confidential or otherwise legally exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, or have been inadvertently
and erroneously referenced in the address line, you are not authorized to
read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If
immediately by e-mail and delete all copies of the message.