I also have the case where maven-compiler-plugin puts a dependency in
classpath while it should be in modulepath. Strangely, the plugin does
the correct thing when executed with "mvn _clean_ install" but not when
executing "mvn install" without clean. This issue happen only when the
useIncrementalCompilation option is set to false. In addition the
javadoc plugin also seems to sometime put dependencies in unexpected
classpath/modulepath option. A Maven option for specifying whether a
dependency should be in the classpath or modulepath would be convenient
as a workaround…

    Martin