Hi,

On 10/07/18 11:09, ahardy42 wrote:
Hi maven-users,

it seems this issue was last discussed almost 10 years ago but despite
reading the docs and the email lists there is still an issue with
distribution management that I don't understand.

I do not wish to declare our company's internal release and snapshot
repositories in pom files which are versioned, and I can't put the xml in
the settings.xml.

The distributionManagement should be offered by a company parent pom which handles this...and it is a good idea to use placeholders here to have chance to change that in particular with CI environments which can control this...

I only see two alternatives:

  - I declare the distributionManagement xml for my team in a parent pom
which I deploy on an updateable repository where we do not have to increment
the version

The parent should also have a fixed version which means release versions. The parent can/should also contain the definition of plugins etc...which means they can/should be upgraded on a regular base...

  - I provide everybody with the command line script snippet to do the deploy
manually

Only a CI server should deploy to a repository / repository manager ...cause you don't know which state people are deploying...

If not, why don't I understand the paradigm? It makes little sense to me
that a change in the environment (the repository URLs) should force a
version change in all projects under development.

Because it represents an different state of the environment in time which is recorded in a version control...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise