Hi Roger,

Actually, I'm working on this problem in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MDEP-648
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MDEP-648>
It will look through all dependencies and tell in which POM the definition for
the external repository was defined in:

The output of mvn dependency:list-repositories -Dverbose will output the
location of the POM files where it was defined...

[INFO]        id: jvnet-nexus-releases
      url: https://maven.java.net/content/repositories/releases/
   layout: default
snapshots: [enabled => false, update => daily]
 releases: [enabled => true, update => daily]
 location: /Users/pim/.m2/repository/net/java/jvnet-parent/5/jvnet-parent-5.pom

[INFO]        id: apache.snapshots
      url: http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository
   layout: default
snapshots: [enabled => true, update => daily]
 releases: [enabled => false, update => daily]
 location: /Users/pim/.m2/repository/org/apache/apache/4/apache-4.pom

This will help you to identify which dependency defined the lookup...

Regards, Pim