Howdy,
Grab somehow (you did not state from where if "outside of plugins")
MavenSession, it has getExecutionRootDirectory method, BUT it may not be
what you want, as one may use -f param for example...

So, I'd shoot back: WHY do you need the root of a multi module build and
FROM WHAT you need it? Extension?
Are you sure you can expect maven is invoked from root? Could it be simpler
just to pass in as some parameter maybe, instead of doing all sorts of
hoops and loops?