For me, no problem on Jenkins either (using "withMaven" pipeline step).
There used to be this issue: https://issues.jenkins.io/browse/JENKINS-35335
Which turned out to be a Maven bug which was fixed in 3.5.0:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5889

As far as MNG-5830 is concerned, I don't know what (special) setup the
affected people are using.

I can only say/repeat that you need a .mvn directory to have the
property point to your root directory.
But even without .mvn, there should not be such an error message, so IDK
what's going on in those cases.