Let me also chime in, telling an "old war story" from my early days in
AspectJ: It used to be a very complex and convoluted Ant multi-module
monster. I never dared to even try and understand the build or
contribute to the project. Then one day, Andy Clement converted the
project to a Maven project, and suddenly I began to understand the
structure better. I started contributing to the project infrastructure,
weeding out the remaining relics of a replicated, scripted build taken
over from Ant, and use *convention over configuration*. Now, you can
just clone the repository, import the Maven project into Eclipse or IDEA
and build it.

We also have some source and binary assemblies, and I never thought
about using .gitignore as a source for excludes, because

  -- as was said before, you usually exclude target, the very folder of
     most interest for binary assemblies, and

  -- whatever is ignored in my .gitignore and resides outside the target
     folder, is usually also to be ignored in source assemblies.

If your case is any different, chances are that your directory structure
is suboptimal and non-standard.

IMO, the one-time effort of developers getting to know the new directory
layout is well invested, because sticking to Maven conventions pays off
in so many ways, not just because IDE import is now easier and users can
contribute patches or features more easily due to painless on-boarding.

--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de