Hej,

yes, basically the "hack" is well described by you:
- it retains "full' reactor project
- introduces "needs build" on project
- when it comes to building, it skips the project if flag set

This results that module-b -> app link is not lost.
And as for your parallelization request: the truth is that there IS and
edge between app and module-b (via module-a), so despite module-a is
"done", its transitive module-b is not done, hence you cannot build these
two in parallel, as you do have an edge between app and module-b.

Or to invert the question: what module-b JAR you want to have included in
app WAR, when building? The one built, or the one from the local
repository? If the latter, why are you building it in the first place?