(I’m just a Maven user)
It seems that, for consuming the artifact, the closed-source plugin seems
not a dependency. I believe it just works fine. Your company’s support team
might get questions like “I tried to build your library myself but the
build failed.”

Maven has a capability to replace pom.xml content when packaging a project.
The flatten Maven plugin uses it
https://www.mojohaus.org/flatten-maven-plugin/
.

Regards,