Hey !
First of all, for everyone asking more info to understand where the pom
values come from and how they are computed, I think a very useful command
is:
mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-help-plugin:3.4.0:effective-pom
-Dverbose=true
It will display your effective pom but also will tell you in comments for
each value where (which pom) it comes from.

Regarding the dependency plugin, what I use very frequently:
* copy-dependencies (including all the options)
* tree

What may be usefull to me
* analyze-*
* build-classpath
* dependency:unpack-dependencies (see below)

For the record, I forked/rewrote a plugin kinda similar to the
unpack-dependencies specifically aimed at unzipping zip or tar.gz
containing dlls being identified by the classifier "natives-win" or
"natives-linux": https://github.com/fmarot/nativedependencies-maven
The main selling point to this plugin is its speed in a multi-module
project (I have 150 modules needing native dependencies being unzipped in
their PATH for the tests) because it keeps record of the unpacked
dependencies and will skip unpacking the same dependency again and again
when you want all the dlls being unpacked at
${session.executionRootDirectory}\target\natives for example.

Regards,
François