So,

in Maven2, the local repo was really "just a bunch of files" (totally wild
west).

With Maven3, and Resolver (yes, this is true from 3.0) the "enhanced" local
repository is used, that tries to "track" origin (of cached, not installed)
artifacts.
In Maven 3.9 the next step is made, which is a "split local repository",
where files (as opposed to "enhanced") are physically kept in split
locations.

All goals and plugins that _assume_ that local repository is "just a bunch
of files" are wrong, and should be avoided.
(this was the reason for all the plugin warnings in Maven 3.9.x line as
well, to make them stand out, and have plugin authors make the step of
correcting them, or users abandoning them)

A related typical example was
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MASSEMBLY-957 where it was "assumed"
that "local" and "remote" repository notion is interchangeable. Is not.
These (mis)conceptions must go away.