I think not. Using groupId or artifactId is insufficient -- at least in it's
present form.

If I have a dependency on, say, version 1.2 of a shared library -- that
dependency is platform independent. If not, then you would have to have
different POMs for different platforms. Obviously that doesn't work and is
not what a POM is about (a holistic project recipe)

Although when I am actually building, maven needs to supply OS specifics to
grab the right stuff for my platform. For Java this is a no-op and would
thus default to noarch or nothing at all. But for languages like C, the
system must somehow transparently fill in OS info when constructing the URL.
Cheers,
-- Chris