Ok when I try running `mvn project-info-reports:dependencies' on my
client's own project I don't see this grand total view.
I can see only the dependencies relevant to the current project
that I am in, even it is the (root) master project.
(e.g. the daytrader/pom.xml). Is it making sense now?

Right, I see.  This is what the latest dependency report does in fact
display.  Check the example report:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin/dependencies.html

It shows the immediate dependencies (Project Dependencies); all
transitive dependencies (Project Transitive Dependencies) (what you
require I believe); and the dependency tree (Project Dependency
Graph).

If you're not seeing that maybe you're running an old version?

Wrong flag (twice in one day, huh)

du -s /usr/src

Heh, I get you now.

Mark