The multi module is the correct way to go. You might be able to combine
them using the assembly plugin and the jar with dependencies stuff.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hirn, Joseph [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:48 PM
To: Maven Users List; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Two jars, one pom...

I am helping someone implement Maven in their project and looking for
the best way to go about generating two jars from the same source base.
They did this previously via two ant targets. Please note we are
retrofitting this codebase to Maven so it was not originally structured
with Maven's "project" structure in mind.

The option to break up the project into two separate projects seems like
the ideal way. They need an "ALL" jar and a client jar for distribution.
>From what was explained, it might need to be three components where
there are server, client, and shared code. This would result in three
POMS and three jars which does not simplify distribution as they would
like a single "ALL" jar rather than having three separate artifacts.

The other option would be to have a separate profile which compiles the
client jar but that doesn't seem "mavenish", and I'm not 1000% sure it
can be supported .

If there is a third way I would appreciate the recommendation. I also
would like to hear thoughts on my two approaches and if anyone has had
to deal with separating out things in this manner.

Thanks so much.