Thanks for the suggestion,

How ever, the module only seems to attach the .zip to the life-cycle for
install/deploy and it is still not resolving in the module..

so my layout is:
project-parent
 - core
 -webapp

module core generates: org.my.group:core-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.zip using the
assembly plugin..

But the webapp module cannot resolve it when building from parent,
unless I first run: mvn install on the "core" module.

Here is how I declare the dependency in "webapp" module:
        <dependencies>
                <dependency>
                        <groupId>org.my.group</groupId>
                        <artifactId>core</artifactId>