On Tuesday 16 December 2008 Trevor Harmon wrote:
[...]
> So... am I doing this right? Are profiles intended to play the role of
> Ant targets? Or is there some other mechanism for that?

You are doing it wrong. Maven has no targets like ant has. Maven has
lifecylces [0] which is built of phases (e.g. 'compile', package',
'install'). Plugins are attached to phases and are executed whenever
a phase is executed.

Profiles are used to configure plugins in different ways.

Start reading the documentation at [1] and especially the books
"Better builds with Maven" and "Maven - The Definitve Guide". Both
are available online for free. Search this archive or google it.

hth,
- martin

[0]
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html