On Dec 16, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Martin Höller wrote:

You are doing it wrong. Maven has no targets like ant has. Maven has
lifecylces [0] which is built of phases (e.g. 'compile', package',
'install'). Plugins are attached to phases and are executed whenever
a phase is executed.

Well, without profiles, I don't know how to do it right. For example, I use the AntRun plugin to invoke install4j, which builds installers for my artifact. Binding this to the deploy phase probably makes the most sense, but if I do that, the deploy goal of the deploy plugin also runs. There's no way to tell Maven to just run the install4j stuff.

If, however, I split off the install4j stuff into an "install4j" profile and bind it to the package phase, then I can do:

  mvn -Pinstall4j package

And suddenly Maven does exactly what I want: It runs install4j and nothing else. Without profiles, how can I accomplish this?

Trevor