On Wednesday 17 December 2008 Trevor Harmon wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2008, at 12:18 PM, Martin Höller wrote:
> > Ok. My approach would then be to create one profile which is only
> > executed
> > before releasing or when running in the contiuous-integration
> > server. This
> > profile would configure the antrun plugin to execute install4j, run
> > integration tests, and do some other time-consuming work.
>
> Yes, that's what I've been doing, but you said I was doing it wrong.

In your original mail you tried to use profiles like you would use tasks in
ant. That's not the maven way and that's what I meant when I was saying you
are doing it wrong. I never said using profiles is wrong.

> > You say it: it runs all of the _configurations_, but it's still only
> > _one_
> > goal that runs. In this case the 'run' goal of the antrun plugin. The
> > antrun plugin is kind of special as it runs ant task within maven,
> > which
> > doesn't have the concept of tasks.
>
> The exec plugin is like that too, and I find both to be very integral
> to the development process. Perhaps these plugins need a new feature
> that allows the user to specify which configuration is used.

Yes, maybe. However, adding such a feature is quite equivalent to using
profiles to select a configuration. And this is how it all started ;-)

- martin