M2eclipse lists everything from the catalog, but cannot generate the corresponding projects unless the Nexus indexer also finds the archetypes. Manually updating the local index from Eclipse's 'Nexus Indexes view' lets m2e use them.

This comes with the inconvenience that m2e fails to release its grip on the archetype jar in the local repo. If I install foo-archetype via CLI, then update my local index, then generate son-of-foo via m2e, then reinstall foo-archetype, then generate spawn-of-foo, m2e chokes. During kludgy manual install-test-fix-install cycles, this could get annoying.

Kludgier workaround: Test the archetype-under-development from the command line. Once deployed to a remote repository, Eclipse will find it, assuming m2eclipse downloads that repository's index.

Soap Box: Prefer a real template mechanism to Maven archetypes.

Mick Knutson wrote:
I created an archetype and a local catalog as per:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/specification/archetype-catalog.html

But when I am in the M2Eclipse plugin, after running through the New Maven
Project, using this archetype I get this error:

*Unable to create project from archetype
[com.fedex.ground.archetypes:executable_jar-archetype:1.0 -> null]
The desired archetype does not exist
(com.fedex.ground.archetypes:executable_jar-archetype:1.0)*