Hello list,

I am new to maven and couldn't find a simple and elegant solution to this (probably) common problem.

I have three projects : A and B are independent projects and C depends on A and B. I use the same logging framework for the three projects (slf4j with logback). In A and B, I have a logback.xml configuration file in src/main/resources to configure logging behavior (A and B do not necessarily have the same configuration). C has also a specific logging configuration file. And, naturally, when I run the project C, logback complains that it found three logback.xml files in the classpath (the ones from A and B and C) when I would like it to find only the one from project C.

I am thus wondering how to avoid this duplication of configuration files (or avoid exposure of the A and B configuration files /for dependent projects/). (Naturally completely "excluding" logback.xml in A and B wouldn't solve my problem as it would also exclude the configuration file when running A or B themselves.)

More generally, is there some tutorial or best-practice about configuring logging for easy deployment and user-tweaking with maven? I would ideally like the end-user to be easily able to modify the logging strategy, while providing him sensible defaults. Probably the logback.xml file should not be embedded in the .jar, but I don't know how to do that (and don't know if this is the best solution!)

Thank you for any pointer.
Olivier