Hi,

I'm in the process of creating my first archetype.  I've based it on the
simple-webapp archetype, but I've added the entire ColdFusion application.
This is 4114 files total.  I can build and install the archetype just fine
using mvn install just fine.  However, when I use mvn archetype:create to
create a new project based on my archetype I get this in the resulting
output:

[WARNING] org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException:
reference : template =
archetype-resources/src/main/webapp/CFIDE/adminapi/_datasource/getaccessdefaultsfromregistry.cfm
[line 17,column 20] : $coldfusion is not a valid reference.
[WARNING] org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException:
reference : template =
archetype-resources/src/main/webapp/CFIDE/adminapi/_datasource/getaccessdefaultsfromregistry.cfm
[line 17,column 31] : $tagext is not a valid reference.
[WARNING] org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException:
reference : template =
archetype-resources/src/main/webapp/CFIDE/adminapi/_datasource/getaccessdefaultsfromregistry.cfm
[line 17,column 38] : $lang is not a valid reference.
[WARNING] org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException:
reference : template =
archetype-resources/src/main/webapp/CFIDE/adminapi/_datasource/getaccessdefaultsfromregistry.cfm
[line 17,column 43] : $RegistryTag is not a valid reference.
[WARNING] org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException:
reference : template =
archetype-resources/src/main/webapp/CFIDE/adminapi/_datasource/getaccessdefaultsfromregistry.cfm
[line 62,column 244] : $Lcoldfusion is not a valid reference.
[ERROR] ResourceManager.getResource() parse exception:
org.apache.velocity.exception.ParseErrorException: Lexical error:
org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.TokenMgrError: Lexical error at line 206,
column 35.  Encountered: <EOF> after : ""

I think that what's going on is that the Velosity templating system is
seeing $ or ${ or something like that in the ColdFusion files.  I'm trying
to find a way to tell velosity to ignore these files.  Any tips on this?
I've read every line of documentation on the archetype plugin I can find,
but there's no clear answer.

I did find one page which discussed a file called archetype-metadata.xml.
The simple-webapp archetype I based this on didn't have one of these files.
I added it under src/main/resources/META-INF/maven, with the following XML,
but it didn't seem to have any effect at all the next time I tried to create
my archetype:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<archetype-descriptor name="basic">
  <fileSets>
    <fileSet filtered="false" packaged="true">
      <directory>src/main</directory>
      <includes>
        <include>**/*.*</include>
      </includes>
    </fileSet>
  </fileSets>
</archetype-descriptor>

I get the impression that there are two versions of the archetype plugin and
that the I might be building my archetype based on documentation on the
archetype 1 plugin and that the archetype-metadata.xml file is specific to
version 2?

Thanks for your help,

Doug Hughes, President
Alagad Inc.