Hello; I've started to dive into the rather baffling world of the
maven-assembly plugin.

I am trying to configure the silly thing so that I get one .zip file output
when I run mvn assembly:assembly.  At the moment, I get this .zip file, but
I also get a .tar file, a bzip file, etc. etc.

mvn help:effective-pom shows me that the maven-assembly plugin has,
preconfigured, a <descriptorRefs> section that points to one of the
predefined descriptors--namely, project.

I don't *want* it to point to this.  I don't *want* any -project.* files
output.

Configuring my pom.xml to exclude this--by putting in an empty
<descriptorRefs/> element--doesn't work.

How can I make it so that the only assembly produced is the one described by
my assembly.xml file?  I certainly hope the solution is trivial and that
I've simply overlooked it.

Best,
Laird