A few months ago, I developed a Groovy based component for Cocoon 2.2.
I found the maven support very good. There were, at that time, a few
very helpful archetypes that made setting up the project easy. I
remember the Cocoon community as being very active, friendly and supportive.
 From my experience, I'd switch to Cocoon 2.2, as it is tailored to use
maven.  Of course, it  depends on the complexity of your Cocoon 2.1.11
project and your Cocoon background. Anyway, you should carefully follow
the instructions on the Cocoon web site / wikis.

HTH

Armin