Interesting. A modal dialog will have a separate, temporary, event queue AFAIK.

Have you tried just printing a stacktrace in the JFrame, when it works then
compare to what happens and how the mouse click is handled in the JDialog?

You can probably attach a debugger/btrace script to see the behaviour and find
the place where it breaks.

--emi