In this and other UI discussions going on, I would request that everyone keep
in mind the usability of the software by people with visual and other
impairments. The US Federal Government has guidelines referred to as “Section
508” [1] which cover the design and usability of softwares specifically to
ensure access for as many people as possible. Now, NiFi is not explicitly
governed by these rules, but it seems to me that we should work towards
accessibility from the beginning, not as a bolt-on effort.

In that vein, one of the simplest and easiest rules is “color is great as a
secondary indicator, but should not be the *only* indicator”. In practice —
changing the color of a connection to indicate back pressure is a great
feature, but there should be another indicator of back pressure that does not
require the ability to discern color.

[1] https://www.section508.gov/content/learn/standards/quick-reference-guide
<https://www.section508.gov/content/learn/standards/quick-reference-guide>

Andy LoPresto