James,

The reason you can't use "Python" is because the scripting bundle only
works with JVM-based scripting languages like JRuby, Jython and Groovy.
Java 6 introduced javax.script which is a package that adds a standard API
for calling JVM scripting languages from a Java app.

>From from overcomplicating it, this is what simplifies the support for
multiple scripting languages without getting into solutions like Py4j or
doing weird things with inter-process communication like the Python API for
Storm.