minor correction - the port shown (8543) was from the alternate port test, the
regular port test 8443 returns a similar error:
" Nifi fails to start, with the log saying:
2021-08-20 18:55:27,715 WARN [main] org.apache.nifi.web.server.JettyServer
Failed to start web server... shutting down.
java.io.IOException: Failed to bind to /35.xxx.xx.xxx:8543 Caused by:
java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address"

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Sofen
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2021 6:00 AM
To: users@nifi.apache.org
Subject: Trouble accessing v 1.14.0 on GCP

At my prior company I've installed earlier versions of nifi on GCP Debian VMs
and not had a problem pointing a Windows 10 browser at them and going to work.
I'm aware v1.14.0 requires a user login when not using certs, but I can't even
get to that step.

I'm pulling my remaining hair out trying to connect to a new Debian VM on GCP
running v 1.14.0 on Java 8.  Nifi starts and runs properly, with this caveat -
I cannot reference the static external IP - only the default IP (127.0.0.1), so
my browser can't connect.  I have a GCP firewall rule that opens the 8443 port
for the VM, and even added ICMP to it and can ping it from a CMD shell on my
PC.  I've checked all of the file permissions on that VM, all uniformly correct.

Details of my nifi.properties:

If I use:
nifi.web.https.host=127.0.0.1 (the default)
nifi.web.https.port=8443

Nifi starts properly and runs, but my browser returns " 127.0.0.1 refused to
connect "

If I use the VM's static IP (which is what I've used on prior VMs):
nifi.web.https.host=35.xxx.xx.xxx
nifi.web.https.port=8443

Nifi fails to start, with the log saying:
2021-08-20 18:55:27,715 WARN [main] org.apache.nifi.web.server.JettyServer
Failed to start web server... shutting down.
java.io.IOException: Failed to bind to /35.xxx.xx.xxx:8543 Caused by:
java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address

Endless web searches and tests have resulted in no change of behavior - with
the default IP, Nifi runs but I can't access it, and with my external IP, it
won't start.  I've even tried using a different port (8543), no change.  In
this GCP project, I have just this one VM and it has successfully been running
Postgres for many months.

Any ideas?

Mike Sofen