On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 08:27:19 -0800 (PST)
Eric Fenster <eric...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Styles doesn't begin to do what Reveal Codes does.
>
> Just simple things like when Bold or Italics stop and start, where languages
> change, etc. It's far easier to SEE a code, delete where necessary or place a
> cursor.

Bold and Italics should best be applied as Character Styles (strong emphasis
and emphasis, respectively); Foreign language insrtions could be character
style Quoation.  As OpenOffice is a WYSIWYG editor, they show up on screen
where they start and stop.

On the en-Forum there is a useful listing of the predefined styles
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=48530

> Reveal codes seems to be the major feature that keeps people using Word
> Perfect. here's got to be a reason. Why Word never did this, I don't know,
> but Open Office should.

This seems to me to be dinosaur mentality.  I once wrote a macro processor to
strip formatting codes from Wordstar and print a book to an unsupported output
device.  I haven't had to do that since 1988, thanks to WYSIWYG.

Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>