Looks like we've both been around the block a time or 2 - though I'm not the "techie" that you are. My first experience was in the early 60s. Learned to write Fortran on an old Philco 2000 while working in research for an aerospace division of Ford. I joined IBM in 1968 and although I was in sales I learned to write in assembler, COBOL, ALGOL, PL1, APL, SIMSCRIPT (a simulation language), Basic and on into the languages of the 90s. Because of my experience in research I was often able to do problem determination as well or better than some of the best technicians. I went to work for Amdahl in WA in the early 90s and a couple of other companies after that. Finally gave it up. Got tired of working for and around idiots. Went back to IBM in 2000 but gave it up for good after 6 months. It was no longer the IBM that I had once worked for. Just another hack company as far as I was concerned.

Thanks again for your help. If you ever figure out a way to open MS files with "open as", please let me know. In the meantime, I have a workable solution.

-----Original Message----- From: James Knott
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:07 PM
To: users@openoffice.apache.org ; Richard Fox
Subject: Re: Question re/ using Open Office

On 06/25/2015 10:25 PM, James Knott wrote:
For the record, I bought my first computer in 1976, an IMSAI 8080,
worked for several years as a computer technician maintaining
mini-computers, DEC VAX 11/780, a few different PR1ME and Data General
models, along with a Collins C8500 (a mil spec version of the IBM 360)
system running the Air Canada reservation system and also 3rd level
support at IBM Canada, where I worked on OS/2, Windows 95, NT & XP and
several applications.  I also have considerable experience with Linux
and am a Cisco CCNA.  I have also completed several computer science
courses.  In short, my experience with computers goes back to the mid
'70s or even a few years earlier, if you count a FORTRAN class I took in
high school.

Forgot to mention Certified OS/2 Warp 4 Engineer and Novell Netware 3.x CNA.

Richard Fox
rafo...@outlook.com