From: Julian Thomas [mailto:j...@jt-mj.net]
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2015 19:04
To: Open Office Apache list
Subject: OT (was Question re/ using Open Office

> On Jun 26, 2015, at 09:19, Richard Fox <rafo...@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Looks like we've both been around the block a time or 2 - though I'm not the
> "techie" that you are. My first experience was in the early 60s. Learned to
> write Fortran on an old Philco 2000 while working in research for an
> aerospace division of Ford.

> I joined IBM in 1968 and although I was in sales I learned to write in
> assembler, COBOL, ALGOL, PL1, APL, SIMSCRIPT (a simulation language), Basic
> and on into the languages of the 90s.

I started out in the '50s on Univac I, IBM 704/709, and Honeywell machines
[D1000; H800, H400].  Joined IBM in '62 and went to work on microprogramming
for the 360 line.
Assembler, many machines; autocoder [1401 and 1410], APL [when I could get to a
terminal with the right electric ball]. Retired in '93.

> Because of my experience in research I was often able to do problem
> determination as well or better than some of the best technicians. I went to
> work for Amdahl in WA in the early 90s and a couple of other companies after
> that.

Worked with Gene at IBM in the '60s and again on a short consulting contract in
the late '90s - he was still sharp then, although I've been advised that he now
has advanced Altzheimers.

> Finally gave it up. Got tired of working for and around idiots. Went back to
> IBM in 2000 but gave it up for good after 6 months. It was no longer the IBM
> that I had once worked for. Just another hack company as far as I was
> concerned.

Agree.

 —
jt - j...@jt-mj.net

"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking
programs."-Robert Firth (stolen from somewhere else)