My point. I have never seen Tech Support so unprofessional ever. I don't care if you like my attitude you do not troll former customers.

At 15:31 14/02/2018 -0600, you wrote:

This is why after years I have now stopped using Open Office and switched to Google Apps.

Ah, so you have been using it successfully for years?

I am a programmer.

Good: so you'll know what you are doing, then.

I quickly dump software that does not comply to User Ergonomics.

Er, hold on: you are dumping OpenOffice "quickly" after using it for years? That makes no sense at all!

It should be simple and intuitive. Especially the simplest task.

Yes, matters should be made as simple as passable, but that is by no means always trivial. If I buy a piano, I don't expect playing the Moonlight Sonata to come easily: I have to learn how to operate the instrument. If I buy a car, I don't expect to be able to complete the "simplest task" of driving to work without extensive lessons and setting up fuel, licensing, insurance, and so on. Using computer software is similar: you need to expect to learn how to drive it before you can be proficient. It's very difficult to see how you are a programmer but apparently do not appreciate this simple idea.

All I wanted was to set up a budget like I have many time in Open Office but the Sum command now does not sum.

Well, it does, of course - and you know it does, as you have used it before. Nothing has changed. Simple logic implies that you are now simply doing something different to create your problem, although you may well not recognise this.

Why? I read online suggestions which mentioned it could have something to do with the value being treated as Text with no explanation to convert them to numerical values.

If you don't understand this distinction, you are very much a beginner at using spreadsheets - and you will find the same problem whichever spreadsheet software you choose to use - yes, even Google's. What you see is *not* what you get in spreadsheets, and never has been:

o What is displayed in a spreadsheet cell is a *version* of the value hidden in that cell, according to the formatting of that cell - which you may have set explicitly or may have been determined from what you typed or pasted. For your spreadsheets to work, you need to be aware of the format type of all your data.

o When you type values into a spreadsheet, they are - possibly invisibly - edited by the software to determine what is actually stored in the cell. This is a convenience, in fact, but will confuse you if you have not learned the basics about spreadsheets. (You will not be the first person to make this mistake.)

It seemed quickly much easier to sign in to Google. Goodbye.

You are very welcome, of course, to choose to use any alternative software you wish. Yes, really. But if speed means to you avoiding learning about the tool and about your own mistakes, you will find the same problems in the future. Google's offering will behave in a very similar way; if it didn't, users would be complaining! In particular, if you enter your data there *in exactly the same way* (do not confuse typing with pasting, for example), you will see the same results there. Why not - instead of complaining that OpenOffice doesn't work - ask about your problem on the mailing list and learn the solution?

I have little patience when companies make simple tasks complicated.

Again, this makes no sense:
o You cannot say that you have "little patience" with something after claiming to have used it for years! o Surely you know enough about OpenOffice to appreciate that it is created by a cooperative venture, not a "company"? o Like most things, when you understand it, you will find the way spreadsheets work a convenience, not a complication.

OK: now to your problem. If you have managed to enter values as text instead of as numbers, you will not expect to be able to calculate with them. But there are easy solutions. You may need to set the format of cells before you enter data (though you probably don't, in fact). If you have entered values inappropriately, there are easy ways to correct your mistake. You can find these in the help text, in the documentation available from the web site (you have read this, haven't you?), through a web search, or by asking on this mailing list.

It always amuses me when people making such claims choose to advertise them to hundreds, perhaps a thousand or two, of fellow users around the world, most of whom will understand the software well enough not to find the same problems. Why not describe your problem instead and obtain help?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker - privately