There is a known problem with the 'update' in AOO. In any case, all it does is let you know there is an update available and you need to go to http://www.openoffice.org/download/ to download and install a later version of AOO.

The most recent version of AOO is 4.1.7; if you have an earlier version you may wish to visit the above link to download the latest version. Please make sure you read the installation instructions linked from that page.