Hi Susan,

Sorry you've invested so much time without success.

The following instructions worked for me...
1. the web page with links to the instructions
OpenOffice.org 3.3 User Guides (ODT) - Apache OpenOffice Wiki
<https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_Chapters_ODT>

2. The chapter with template usage info found in the "Getting Started
Guide" section of the webpage above. The link will download an .odt file
that opens in Writer
Ch3 - Using Styles and Templates
<https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_Chapters_ODT>

4. Refer to the section "Importing a template" on page 22.
The template must be imported before it can be used in the next step.
Note: you must know where the template file has been downloaded to so it
can be picked for import

5. Refer to "Using a template to create a document" on page 14.
Once a template is imported this is the only step that needs to be repeated
to create a document with a given template.

--
Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011