Hello Bella,

Some background info that I hope is helpful, re:templates...

If the last part of the file name provided by the university was .ott it is
a template file, e.g. university.ott. If not .ott at end of the name it is
not a template file.

If it is a template file like university.ott...:
* and university.ott is opened by double-click or File>Open... then the
document name at the top of the OpenOffice window will be "Untitled 1". It
will not be "university.ott" or "university"
* when saving the file for the first time OpenOffice will prompt for a file
name
* all edits will be saved in the file, "file-name-you-make-up.ODT"
* if "university.ott" template file is opened again none of the edits will
be there because that is not the file the edits were saved in

If for example you named the file "university" when saving, OpenOffice has
given it the full name "university.ODT". To find the file containing your
edits the file "university.ODT" must be opened.

Since you saved your edits but they weren't there when the file was opened
again I suspect you opened and edited a template file, .ott, then named and
closed it per the prompts when done. Then when opening the file again the
original "university.ott" file was opened and so no edits are found in the
file.

The "file-name-you-make-up.ODT", e.g. "university.ODT", is the file that
must be opened to see your edits.

If you're using Windows the file that was saved with all the edits is most
likely to be found in your "My Documents" folder.