On 11/28/10 2:20 PM, Daniel Lewis wrote:
James Greenidge wrote:
On 11/28/10 10:04 AM, Daniel Lewis wrote:
Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
Den 2010-11-28 15:03:15 skrev James Greenidge <ji...@mac.com>:

A Write document is corrupt but I can use Stuffit to open it and get at the files but I can't find the very important images. Does OOo store then as PNG or PICT or JPG? Also, does OOo convert image files pasted into a Write doc?
Thanks!

Are your images in your writer document or are they linked to from writer? If the latter, there are no images in the ODF. Otherwise I guess OpenOffice.org Writer stores them in their original format in a separate folder (”Images”?), but I'm not 100 % sure about that.

The images are stored in their own folder within the odf file. This folder is named Picture. As mentioned by the previous poster, the images are stored in the odf file only if they have been embedded into the writer document. If you had chosen to only link the images, the ODF file will only contain a link to where the images were located when you made the link to the images.

Dan

Thanks for the swift answer!

I found several files in "Pictures" folder which have several files with long random numbers as filenames which my Mac image readers won't even list. Are they real image files and are they PNG or PICT or JPG and MOV like my image readers are expecting?

They are real images. I save an embedded picture (JPEG file) in a Writer document. When I unzipped the document, the file in the Picture folder contained a JPEG file. When I did the same thing when embedding a PNG picture in a Writer document, the Picture folder contained a PNG file. My conclusion: the image files in the Picture folder are the image formats as the image format of the image embedded in the Writer document.

Dan
O.K, now that you state that things might get more complex, so please bear with this non-techie and that this all on Mac OOo. Firstly, I learned that the Writer images were not "file imported" into the Writer document but directly cut-and-pasted from Graphic Converter (a fine Photoshop workalike) after being resized from both JPG and GIF and PNG originals (we found only BMP can be directly imported as a file without the "Sections" menu appearing). So, would these images be cut and pasted into Writer in their original format or converted by OOo into a native OOo image format? That said, how can we tell what image formats these files in the "Picture" folder are to do anything with them, and more, how do you make image viewers (and future re-pasting) "see" them with their odd long all numbers non-image format file names? Hope I spelled it out coherently! Thanks!