-------Original Message-------

From: R N D Martin
Date: 12/19/2010 2:23:45 AM
To: users@openoffice.org
Subject: [users] Re: PDF Conversion

In article <aanlktinssvik7erg7kfkd1xkmbybsbfixtan7r7pv...@mail.gmail.com>,
hwfa.openoff...@googlemail.com (Harold Fuchs) wrote:

> *From:* Harold Fuchs <hwfa.openoff...@googlemail.com>
> *To:* users@openoffice.org
> *Date:* Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:49:18 +0000
>
> On 16 December 2010 10:41, Marcello Romani
> <mrom...@ottotecnica.com> wrote:
>
> > Il 16/12/2010 11:08, Harold Fuchs ha scritto:
> >
> >  On 16 December 2010 07:15, Marcello
> > Romani<mrom...@ottotecnica.com>
> >>  wrote:
> >>

> >> <snip>

> >> So you are saying that after first saving my PDF document (which
> I made
> >> using Acrobat) it's cast in stone and I can't edit it or send it
> to my
> >> colleague (who also has Acrobat) for review/edit. Not sure about
> that ...
> >>

> > No, I'm saying PDF was not /designed/ to be edited. The fact that
> > one can
> > edit a PDF is to be taken as an unintended feature.
> >

> Why bother to write the Acrobat software if PDF is not *designed*
> to be
> edited? Under your assumption a "pseudo printer" would be all that
> was
> necessary.
>
> --
> Harold Fuchs
> London, England
> Please reply *only* to users@openoffice.org

The purpose of producing a pdf is twofold:  to generate a platform
independent
document; and to produce one that can be circulated but one that is not
subject to
editing by other hands, so that the receiver  gets a document that can be
relied on
to be in the form that the originator intended.

Niall Martin