At 01:45 15/04/2007 +0200, Glenn Folkvord wrote:
Something weird is happening. I am trying to sort a list of movie titles alphabetically, using version 2.0 of Writer but nothing happens! What is even more weird, the same thing happens in MS Word (which I use as a backup). Is there a Windows alphanumerical sorting bug that affects all text editors?

At 02:12 15/04/2007 +0200, Glenn Folkvord wrote:
I would think I do the usual thing; highlight the text (which is pasted from a text document), then go to the Tools menu, choose Sort, keep options at default, click ok..... nothing happens.

What precisely are you expecting to be sorted? The Sort function in Writer sorts *paragraphs*. So if you have a single paragraph, nothing is exactly what is supposed to happen. If you have a list of titles, I imagine they are not in running text as a single paragraph, so that is not the problem.

So what is? Well, if you have pasted the list from elsewhere, it is quite possible that the lines you see are separated by line breaks (what you get from Shift+Enter) rather than paragraph breaks (Enter). It seems, for example, that pasting text from a web page will - sensibly - interpret the HTML <BR> as a line break. If this is so, Writer sees a single paragraph and finds nothing to sort. Turn on the view of nonprinting characters to see if this is the problem.

Change the line breaks to paragraph breaks, and Sort will do what you want. You can make this change using Edit | Find & Replace... . Select More Options and then tick "Regular expressions", and then put "\n" (no quotes) in both the Search and Replace boxes.

Brian Barker


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to