On Nov 13, 2007 1:06 PM, neil ashley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    My son is using these programmes to help with his collage work,but he
> is having difficulty opening his saved work from home to the PC at collage,
> which is Microsoft office 2003.
> If anybody could tell us how to fix the problem that would be great!!
> Many thanks  Neil..
>
> Word won't read the files Writer creates in its standard format (an format
approved by an international standards body I might add).

In any case, to read the files he creates at home...
Save the documents in MS Word format. Optionally set Writer so it saves in
MS Word format by default. Last propose to the school that they too switch
to the free suite you're using and save their students some of the cost of
going to school.

To save in Word format:
- for a new document select File>Save from the menu
- for a document that has been saved previously select File>Save As...
from the menu
- fill in the File Name if needed (there will be a name showing if the
file was saved previously)
- from the "Save as type" list select the appropriate MSWord type,
e.g. "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP"
- make sure "Automatic file name extension is checked" (this setting
will be remembered)
- click the "Save" button

To change the default so it always saves in Word format
- select Tool>Options... from the menu
- open the Load/ Save branch
- select the General item on this branch
- look for the "Default file format" settings near the bottom middle
- - set the Document type to Text document
- - set the Always save as option to Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP
- click the OK button