To whom it may concern:

I recently installed OpenOffice 2.3.0 on an HP dv6500 laptop using Windows
Vista Premium and also on an older computer using Windows XP.  On both
computers whenever I open an existing file within any of the OpenOffice
applications using either File|Open from the menu bar, or the Open Folder from
the tool bar, the working directory is always the directory accessed in the
lastest application used.  Why don't they use the working directory I set in
Tools|Options|OpenOffice.org|Paths|MyDocuments?

The other frustrating thing is when you select an choice in "Files of Type:" to
open certain types of files in any of the applications it does not become the
default for the application--it always returns to the choice "All files (*.*)".

I have spent years trying to get my wife to understand (with very limited
success) the importance of naming files and how the extension of the filename
aids the computer to select the application needed to process it.  My solution
has been to create subdirectories for each of the file types, such as
documents, drawings, presentations, spreadsheets, etc. then set the appropriate
directory as the working directory for each application.  It has saved me a lot
of grief not having to search for files she creates because they will always
end up in the directory associated with the program she ran to create it.  Not
to mention the fact it greatly reduces the number of files you see on the list
when opening them.  Since OpenOffice theoretically has a global working
directory for all applications, my current subdirectory concept would work if
the working directory would not automatically float to the latest directory
accessed.  Merging all the subdirectories under one directory will really make
a mess of trying to locate files within an application unless the "Files of
Type:" option can be made to hold for each application.

To make matters worse, after two days of running OpenOffice, the "Files of
Type:" option has become completely useless.  Whenever it is selected in any of
the applications, it just rapidly scrolls through the entire list of choices
and automatically selects the last one!  Is there a know fix for this, or do I
have to try re-installing the software?

I would really appreciate any help I can get to resolve any of the above issues.

Thank you,  Tim Deitrick   at  [EMAIL PROTECTED]